UPDATE: NOVEMBER 1, 2023
THE 2024 STRAWHAT AUDITIONS WILL BE BY VIDEO SUBMISSION ONLY
ALL registered applicants are encouraged to submit a complete Actor Profile, Video Audition, and to participate in our Virtual Dance Call in the spring. There is no selection process and no ‘audition’ notification for our virtual audition platform.
The following is information regarding our selection process for an in-person, live StrawHat event.
HOW DOES STRAWHAT SELECT WHO GETS TO AUDITION?
We receive many more submissions than we can accommodate, but these are the primary attributes of a successful submission:
- A complete application! Review the full instructions and follow them. (see Instructions) If we have questions or concerns about your application, we may attempt to email you, but only once (see our note about spam filters below).
- A good-quality headshot (see our article – if scheduled, you will need to bring several copies of your photo/resume)
- A properly formatted resume (see our article on resume formatting and follow our guidelines)
- A 90-second audition video recording that shows you at your very best. Your submission is incomplete without a posted 90-second video audition. (see Audition Video Info)
- Your level of experience, meaning your body of work and training as presented on your resume: where and with whom you have studied; number of years you have trained in acting, voice, dance, etc.
- The majority of our member theatres are looking to hire an ensemble for the entire season, therefore they hope to see well-rounded performers who sing, act, and dance to some degree or another; who are versatile at both ensemble and possible feature roles; who are team players.
The vast majority of member theatres are casting musicals, and in the past the number of theatres seeking to hire non-musical talent has averaged only about 1/3 of registered companies. Therefore we have made the difficult decision to eliminate live non-singing auditions. Non-singers are still welcome to create an online profile: non-musical positions continue to be sought and those companies will post information on their Theatre Search pages.
Early submission is recommended, but not required. If we receive your complete application by the deadline, we will review your submission. The StrawHat Audition schedule is never closed until we have vetted all applications received by deadline (see notes below).
We begin receiving applications in the fall and start reviewing immediately. Appointment scheduling begins after January 1st. If we deem your application to be complete and qualified, we have the most flexibility in scheduling you if you apply early. If we have questions or issues with your application, we may attempt to contact you and address them. NOTE: Typically, we receive nearly half of the total number of applications during the last two or three weeks before the deadline. This significantly slows our ability to process and notify applicants of their status.
Application Deadline: Your complete profile including your 90-second StrawHat Audition video audition must be posted by January 15th.
Spam Filters: We cannot notify you of concerns – or special information – if you do not identify StrawHat Auditions as an acceptable domain address.
We strongly recommend that actors create a free email account: Gmail is preferred. If you email address is provided through your university webmail system, our emails may be blocked from delivery. Yahoo and Comcast regularly block our automated mail, too.
Audition Selection is just that – selective, and the process is by its very nature a subjective one. There is no mathematical equation, no codified objective measure by which we compare one application to another. Our job is to assemble what appear to be the most promising applicants to the companies that hope to hire them.
Annual Subscription/Registration fee is non-refundable.
If you are scheduled for an appointment and choose to cancel, your audition fee is non-refundable.
Appointment change fee: $25, money order only
We hope this information is helpful and we thank you for your interest in StrawHat!