HOW DOES STRAWHAT SELECT WHO GETS TO AUDITION?
We receive many more submissions than we can accommodate, but these are the primary attributes of a successful application packet:
1. A complete application! Review the full instructions – there are 2 steps – and follow them. (see Instructions) Missing items will delay processing and directly impact consideration for an audition. We will attempt to email you, but only once (see our note about spam filters below).
2. A professional presentation of your application.
- a. good-quality headshots in 8x10 format, no larger (see our article)
- b. properly formatted 8x10 resumes (see our article on resume formatting and follow our guidelines)
- c. Application print-out with ALL tables completed and your signature where indicated
- d. All additional items as specified above (1.)
3. Your level of experience, meaning your body of work and training as presented on your resume: where and with whom you have studied; number of years you have trained in acting, voice, dance, etc.
4. The majority of our member theatres are looking to hire an ensemble for the entire season, therefore they hope to see well-rounded performers who sing, act, and dance to some degree or another; who are versatile at both ensemble and possible feature roles; who are team players.
We have approximately 700 audition/stand-by appointments available. Ideally, we would schedule an equal number of male and female performers, but we generally receive 2 to 3 female applicants to every 1 male. Therefore, female applicants have heavier competition for time slots.
Non-musical appointments are limited in number and extremely competitive. The vast majority of member theatres are casting musicals, and in the past the number of theatres seeking to hire non-musical talent has averaged about 1/3 of attending companies. However, there are organizations that use the StrawHat Casting Online database to directly contact non-singing actors for individual auditions, regardless of whether actors have StrawHat appointments.
Early submission is recommended, but not required. If we receive your application by the deadline, we will review your qualifications and make decisions as equitably as possible. The StrawHat Audition schedule is never closed until we have vetted all applications received by deadline (see notes below).
We begin receiving applications in the fall and start reviewing and selecting immediately. If we deem your application to be complete and qualified, we have the most flexibility in scheduling you if you apply early. If we have questions or issues with your application, we may attempt to contact you and address them. The closer we are to the deadline the more selective we become, because the schedule is being filled as time passes. Later applications are therefore more competitive. NOTE: Typically, we receive nearly half of the total number of applications during the last two or three weeks before the deadline. This delays processing, scheduling, and notification.
Application Deadline means that your complete hardcopy packet is received by our office by NOON of the deadline date.
- Spam Filters: We cannot notify you of concerns – or special information – if you do not identify StrawHat Auditions as an acceptable domain address. If you email address is provided through your university webmail system, our emails may be sent to your junk mail folder. We strongly recommend that actors create a free email account (gmail, yahoo, etc.) that is outside the restrictions placed on university webmail systems.
- Audition Selection is just that – selective, and the process is by its very nature a subjective one. There is no mathematical equation, no codified
objective measure by which we compare one application to another. Our job is to assemble what appear to be the most promising applicants to the companies that hope to hire them.
- Registration fee is non-refundable.
- Audition fee is returned to you if you are not selected to audition.
- If you are scheduled for an appointment and choose to cancel, your audition fee is non-refundable.
- Appointment change fee: $25, money order only
- Returned check fee: $30, money order only